[klibc] Unable to cat raw /dev/fd0 more than one time

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jun 10 07:24:08 PDT 2008

Gilles Espinasse wrote:

> I need to be slow enought changing the floppies to make it work.
> I don't have yet the exact receipt.
> After 'Done root-1' is printed, ejecting root-1, waiting 30s, putting root-2
> could work.
> That's a good new.
> I could ask to eject the floppy, uncompress floppy.gz before asking to put
> root-2.

The issue is one at the kernel level here, not in klibc, but the
question is what exactly the kernel expects.  Normally you should be
able to pull the floppy out as soon as it's done accessing it, since
it's a readonly operation.

I just did a trace using glibc "cat", and it doesn't do any syncing or
anything like that, so I'm confused about how any of this would matter...