[klibc] klibc stand-alone build

Matthias-Christian Ott ott at enolink.de
Wed Mar 5 11:17:32 PST 2008

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> Matthias-Christian Ott wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm currently building an initrd for CRUX which will use klibc. But I
> > don't want to install klibc to /usr, I just want to install the shared
> > klibc and its header files to $DEST, build some utils against, link them
> > dynamically and include both in the initramfs image.
> >
> > What's the best way to do this?
>
> The easiest is probably to simply put your utilities into the klibc
> build tree, and not even worrying about installing it.
>
> Another option is to simply set a different prefix (make prefix=...),
> and install klibc in there.  You can also set the individual
> subdirectories (libdir, bindir etc. if you prefer.)

Yes, but I just want install klibc and klcc /tmp or so, execute klcc to
link my utils and copy klibc into my image.
The problem is that I can't build individual parts of klibc and install
them individually.
This whole build procedure is very unhandy and in comparison to dietlibs
compiler wrapper klcc is very poor (it uses static paths, etc.).

> Some distros also have a klibc-devel package which would do what you want.
>
> 	-hpa

Thanks
Matthias-Christian