[klibc] Polling again: switch the list over to subscriber-only?

Jeff Bailey jbailey at raspberryginger.com
Fri Mar 21 21:36:09 PDT 2008

Le 08-03-21 à 13:52, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> a écrit :

> Jeff Bailey wrote:
>> The only question that comes to mind is the future of klibc. Is
>> there still potential for merging at some point?  In ubuntu we
>> never got to where we could do without glibc, and I'm curious how
>> much push there is still to finish this off and get it merged, or
>> made more standard across distros.
>> Beating around the bush I guess to ask if the project still has
>> enough value to keep around at all...
>
> I've had some discussions with some other kernel people about the
> potential for getting it to the point where it hopefully would be
> accepted, and there is a fair bit of interest in it.

Cool.

> So the objections aren't to klibc itself, but rather to what is
> currently available (from the kernel's perspective) on top of it.
> There are a lot of ideas, but several of them are extremely hard to
> implement while still out of tree, which causes an ugly chicken-and-
> egg problem.

I remember before that the ideas here seemed to generally resolve
around userspace assembly of md partitions and possibly moving
partition detection completely into userspace, but I thought those
also had strong objections to them.

It might be nice to get a brain dump of the ideas, so we can figure
out how to move forward.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey