[klibc] ipconfig and boot filename option

Άλκης Γεωργόπουλος alkisg at gmail.com
Sun May 25 21:37:42 PDT 2008

So, as far as I can tell, we're back to square one.
We need another option for ipconfig that ignores the router answer and
accepts only the answer from the ltsp server.

> "ipappend 2" gives the MAC address of the booting interface, which you can
> match up with the appropriate interface (and then only bring up the relevant
> interface.)

I'm not worried about which interface to bring up, the clients usually
have only one interface. Maybe my English failed me in the first post,
we just want the ltsp clients to ignore the router dhcp offer.

> Because if you configure with "ipconfig 1" you don't respect DHCP lease
> times, and lack any additional information.

If the ltsp server answers, I assume that we've configure it
specifically for this kind of behavior.

New idea: I read (wikipedia) that
"A client can also request its last-known IP address (in the example
below, 192.168.1.100). If the client is still in a network where this
IP is valid, the server might grant the request."

Is there any way to do that with IPAPPEND 1 and ipconfig? Ask again
for the ip that was granted to the nic during the pxe phase? If so, I
guess the router will ignore the request, and ltsp server will
answer...

Excuse my ignorance, I'm trying to find a way to solve a problem that
we have and I still don't see how.

Thanks again,
Alkis