[klibc] PATCH: ipconfig may discard useful packets

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Oct 7 09:18:55 PDT 2008

Άλκης Γεωργόπουλος wrote:
> Sorry for the very late reply, I was waiting for the schools to open to
> test with the routers I have in my labs.
>
> To be brief:
> * I still have problems with ipconfig discarding useful packets
> * I still have problems with ipconfig selecting the wrong dhcp server.
>
> I'd like to propose some patches to correct them both.
> For the second one, I'm asking to implement the approach used in gpxe:
> https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=200809140042.20343.mbrown%40fensystems.co.uk
>
> So, with the patches I'd like to propose, when ipconfig is ran (maybe
> with a specific command line parameter), it will wait for e.g. 1 second
> to collect dhcp offers. Then it will prefer/accept the offer having the
> bigger gpxe.priority (if any).

The problem here is is that you're effectively trying to change the DHCP
protocol to deal with your particular setup.  That isn't really a very
practical option.

> As an alternative, I could implement the equivalents of the
> "select-timeout" and "require" statements of dhclient.conf, which can
> also allow ipconfig to select one of many dhcp servers.

That has another problem, which is that in general you will not have
much sources of input to ipconfig.  It is a more achievable solution,
though.