[klibc] PATCH: ipconfig may discard useful packets

Άλκης Άλκης
Thu Oct 9 10:04:08 PDT 2008

I've tested again with the current git ipconfig version before
implementing the "require dhcp option" patch, and I keep seeing (with
wireshark) ipconfig loosing packets in 2 dhcp server environments.

I think this happens because some function return values are not well
defined.

As a result, sometimes packet_discard() in packet.c gets called with no
packets waiting in the queue, so it waits indefinitely until some random
packet arrives (and discards it).
I've seen the original version wait for more than 2 minutes.

I don't know how to fix this in small steps.
I can't change only some return values, it won't make sense, nothing
will work.
I propose to send 1 big patch where I will *only* comment the desired
function return values,
and then another, smaller patch with the return values actually changed.

I can send many tcpdumps & ipconfig debug outputs of the original
ipconfig version if you like, to demonstrate that the problem really
exists.

Kind regards,
Alkis Georgopoulos