[klibc] Patch queue pushed out

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 11 08:49:12 PDT 2009

maximilian attems schrieb:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 03:57:53PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
>> On Sun, 09 Aug 2009, Aron Griffis wrote:
>>
>>> H. Peter Anvin wrote:  [Sun Aug 09 2009, 06:38:07PM EDT]
>>> I checked for my stuff, looks great, thanks!
>> could you post your stuff, from looking at
>> http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/klibc/repos/core-i686/
>> i'd be intested in klibc-compile-shared-by-default.patch
>> hitting upstream.
>>
>> the rest i don't know, but i assume that klibc-Kbuild.patch
>> is also for building shared utils per default,
>> which we prefer too.
>>
>> klibc-x86_64-fix-io.h.patch seems shared with gentoo
>> http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/dev-libs/klibc/files/
>
> oh sorry Aron misread your name, adding the archlinux maintainer on cc.

Let me explain the Arch Linux patches:

http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/klibc/trunk/klibc-Kbuild.patch?revision=12688&view=markup
klibc-Kbuild.patch just omits a few executables in the build procedure,
and replaces a few static ones with shared ones, nothing fancy.

http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/klibc/trunk/klibc-compile-shared-by-default.patch?revision=1&view=markup
klibc-compile-shared-by-default.patch: I found it stupid to ship all our
klibc-applications as static binaries, when we were going to have the
klibc.so library in the initramfs anyway. It was just convenient to make
it the default.

http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/klibc/trunk/klibc-fix-2.6.28-includes.patch?revision=22942&view=markup
klibc-fix-2.6.28-includes.patch: This is an ugly hack to make klibc even
build with merged x86_64 and i386, klibc was never adjusted to this
unification and thus always failed.

http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/klibc/trunk/klibc-x86_64-fix-io.h.patch?revision=12688&view=markup
klibc-x86_64-fix-io.h.patch: This is a trivial fix for three typoes that
prevented 915resolution from building with klibc.

http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/klibc/trunk/kinit-fix-init-cmdline.patch?revision=41787&view=markup
kinit-fix-cmdline.patch: Ever since we used klibc, "init=/bin/sh"
stopped working, as kinit always passed the kitchensink to init
(/sbin/init doesn't care, /bin/sh does and thus fails). The way I
understood it, everything _before_ the first -- should be passed to
init, while the rest is for kinit (combined with what was on the kernel
commandline to build some mount options and more). This simple patch
implements this behaviour.

I hope this clarifies everything.