[klibc] include insmod patch

maximilian attems max at stro.at
Tue Apr 27 14:44:05 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 04:28:22PM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 22:05 +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
>
> > lsmod, depmod compiles fine but not modprobe:
>
> I suspect it's that klibc doesn't have regex bits. I asked after klibc
> recently since it had seemed that some of the interest in it had dried
> up over time.

embedded space interest kicked it back in.

also with devfs 2.0 you know longer need udev in your initramfs.
(which can be made to compile against it)
people patch all sort of boot tools against klibc, have seen dash,
mksh, kexec-tools, strange debian installer payloads..

klibc acitivity is good:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=libs/klibc/klibc.git;a=summary

> Are you /really/ saying that people want to run modprobe
> with it or is this purely academic? I don't mean offense, I'm curious.

it is in use in any Debian derivate per default and yes
we patch insmod in, but I'd prefer to have a m-i-t support
agains klibc, that what we are shooting at.

sorry to have missed your question, thanks for coming back to it.

regards
max