[klibc] a list of which kernel versions work with klibc

Phil Howard kunnskaperen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 17:51:08 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Gilles Espinasse <g.esp at free.fr> wrote:

> ----- "Phil Howard" <kunnskaperen at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> Is there a list of which kernel versions (are supposed to) work with
>> (each version of) klibc?
>>
> 1.5.15 work with 2.6.27.x
> http://ipcop.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ipcop/ipcop/trunk/lfs/klibc?revision=3106&view=markup

Then I guess I could focus on why that combination fails for me:

http://phil.ipal.org/linux-and-klibc/2010-07-21/klibc-linux-combo-log/000324-klibc-1.5.15-linux-2.6.27.48-i686.log
http://phil.ipal.org/linux-and-klibc/2010-07-21/klibc-linux-combo-log/000324-klibc-1.5.15-linux-2.6.27.48-x86_64.log

Here is the latest script.  It uses both the "linux" symlink (there is
an "ln" command seen in the logs making the symlink), and the
KLIBCKERNELSRC= parameter on the make command.  I hope I have them
pointing in the right place.  Some combinations (e.g. 1.5.16 through
1.5.18 with more recent kernels) do work, which suggests something is
right in my script.

In the above logs, it shows an error where "linux/limits.h" is now
found.  Yet there is "linux/limits.h" relative to the header install
target, as shown its md5 checksum before compilation was started.
Something went wrong somewhere.  Originally I posted to just see if
there was existing knowledge of such problems.  But if this pairing
works for you, that means at least something is different between how
you ran it, and how I did.  I ran it by that script.

The script is at:
http://phil.ipal.org/linux-and-klibc/2010-07-21/compile-klibc

> we have used 1.5.10 with 2.6.25.x

Results of that pairing will be in the same directory as the above
ones, later on.

Anyway, I guess it might be time for me to dig into the builds,
Makefiles, and source trees, to see what went wrong.