[klibc] dash klibc DEBUG more compile trouble

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Wed Sep 8 12:09:57 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 06:20:17PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010, Herbert Xu wrote:
>
> > maximilian attems <max at stro.at> wrote:
> > > once taken that stat/stat64 appart, histedit appears to be a minefield:
> >
> > Unless you have libedit, you're supposed to define SMALL.
>
> indeed we do define it, but it was due to my poor Kconfig foo
> that it gets undefined again on debug compile run.
> thanks Herbert for aboves comment, helped out.
>
> so compiling klibc with
>  make   KLIBCKERNELSRC=`pwd`/../linux-2.6 EXTRA_KLIBCCFLAGS="-DDEBUG=1 " V=1
>
> is either wrong or the klibc Kbuild is buggy as it undefines the Kbuild
> specific entries in the subdirs.

It is wrong...
When you specify an variable on the commandline like in this
case you do with EXTRA_KLIBCCFLAGS=... then make will use the value
you assign to the variable rather than the value that is assigned
in the makefile.

So you actually overwrite the variable EXTRA_KLIBCCFLAGS, where you
expected to append to it.

I took a quick look at the kbuild stuff in klibc - and
there does not seem to be any way to pass extra flags on the commandline.

Except that you can say:

make CC="gcc -DDEBUG=1"

But I did not test this.

	Sam