[klibc] klibc use in the wild [Was: klibc current state]

Andrea Adami andrea.adami at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 00:41:08 PDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Sam Ravnborg <sam at ravnborg.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 09:14:40AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > While some people might scuba dive, let's summarize recent
> > progress and state (People cc'ed have either patches in
> > queue or are involved):
>
> Thanks for the update!
>
> Where is klibc actually in use today?
> It is nice to know a little about what any eventual contribution is used
> for :-)
>
> The plan to include klibc with the kernel have stalled - seems we are
> missing
> a killing feature to get it included...
>
>        Sam

Hello,

in the last years we have developed a graphical linux-as-bootloader,
consisting in a special-purpose initramfs.
Being the NAND size we have is between 1-1,2 MiB the choice was for klibc.

At the moment we only deploy two binaries in the cpio: kexecboot and kexec
both statically compiled against klibc.
The size of the cpio.lzma is below 54KiB.

http://elinux.org/CELF_Project_Proposal/Improve_kexecboot
http://kexecboot.org/

What we miss is the detection of UBI/UBIFS while for JFFS2 & FAT* we have
the (in)famous patch at

http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/tree/recipes/klibc/klibc-1.5.23/fstype-sane-vfat-and-jffs2-for-1.5.patch?h=org.openembedded.dev

Regards

Andrea