[klibc] klibc use in the wild [Was: klibc current state]

maximilian attems max at stro.at
Fri Aug 12 01:23:17 PDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 09:19:08AM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 09:14:40AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > While some people might scuba dive, let's summarize recent
> > progress and state (People cc'ed have either patches in
> > queue or are involved):
>
> Thanks for the update!
>
> Where is klibc actually in use today?

It is currently used by Debian, Ubuntu and it's derivatives
on any install. Thanks to it we got many porter patches.
They use initramfs-tools as initramfs, which uses allmost all of
klibc beside kinit (due to missing bootscripts and historic reasons).

There is some pressure to change that as on the one side people
are unused to such minimal utilities and expect standard tools
like more (+ cats and dogs;). On the other side and only klibc
initramfs is wished for the embedded archs (meaning module-init-tools
and udev against klibc). A current blocker for that is the stdio
branch merge too due to performance reasons. Later down the road
are lvm2 and mdadm.

Openembedded does use klibc and pushed forward nice things.

klibc is also seen in Gentoo, Mageia, Pardus and pld (not complete list).

Most of the distributions carry one or other build hack^Wpatch.

> It is nice to know a little about what any eventual contribution is used for :-)

agreed.

> The plan to include klibc with the kernel have stalled - seems we are missing
> a killing feature to get it included...

Well many things changed since and it is a goal.
It should be easier these days with tools dir.
I'll put it on the todo section of such a mail.

Thank you.

--
maks