[klibc] Compilation errors

Peter Christy christy at attglobal.net
Sat Nov 17 03:32:59 PST 2012

OK Maks, I owe you an apology! But I'm not out of the woods yet!

I had had a look at the headers_install section of the kernel makefile, and was
under the impression that the default install path was to /usr/include. This
would have over-written Slackware's system headers, which the devs say should
never be done. On closer inspection, the default path is ./usr/include - I
missed the leading "." ! Must get some new glasses.......!

Luckily someone on the Slackware area of LinuxQuestions came to my rescue and
pointed out my error!

Following that, plus some other minor fiddling about, I've managed to get klibc
to build - mostly! It now appears to crash out at the install stage with the
following error:

KLIBCLD usr/gzip/gzip
LN usr/gzip/gunzip
LN usr/gzip/zcat
INSTALL headers + man pages to /tmp/SBo/package-klibc/usr/lib64/klibc
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `headers_install'. Stop.
make[1]: *** [header] Error 2
make: *** [install] Error 2

Any idea what it is complaining about?

In my defence, I have to say that in 15+ years of using Slackware and building
my own packages, I've never had to use "make headers_install" - I didn't even
know it existed! I read the README.klibc file, but found parts of it difficult to
follow and perhaps out of date. It appears the KLIBCKERNELSRC variable has
replaced the necessity of creating a link to the kernel source as suggested.
And "make headers_install" is not something in common useage outside the world
of developers - if it was, I'm sure I would have come across it.

These are not criticism, you understand, just suggestions that may help those
who are not programmers from falling into the traps that I have!

Cheers,

Cheers,

--
Pete