[klibc] ipconfig - single option for specifying hostname

Phil Lello phil at dunlop-lello.uk
Mon Jul 13 00:03:59 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I've recently been experimenting with Xen VMs booted using DHCP/NFS, and
that's looking good.

One nuisance is that I'm unable to get the DNS to update on the server
since there's no hostname in the DHCP request packet.

I'm aware that I can specify a hostname using the long-format device name,
but this doesn't seem to play well with initramfs. So, I'd like to add a
patch to ipconfig that allows a parameter to specify the hostname. Are
there any immediate objections to this, or reasons why this wouldn't be
accepted?

Alternatively, it may be that the correct approach would be to leave
ipconfig alone, and add a minimal nsupdate to klibc so that the hostname
can be read out of root/etc/hostname later in the pre-boot, then passed on
to DNS. Thoughts on the relative merrits of the two approaches welcomed.

Finally, and sorry for asking a 'howto' question, are there any pointers on
getting klibc to duild on Ubuntu? I'm being frustrated by location of
kernel headers, and don't want to go adding symlinks from /usr/src.

Phil