[klibc] VLAN support for ipconfig

Kyle Rose krose at krose.org
Fri Apr 30 06:16:04 PDT 2021

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 5:52 PM Ben Hutchings <ben at decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> Apologies for the late response to this.
>
> On Thu, 2020-10-08 at 13:10 -0400, Kyle Rose wrote:
> > I've attached a patch to allow ipconfig to create and configure VLAN
> > interfaces using the standard VLAN interface nomenclature
> > (physical_if.VLAN_ID). Happy to hear comments/criticism.
>
> ipconfig is only really meant to handle the "ip" kernel parameter, so I
> think VLAN creation should be done by a separate command.  Ideally that
> would also use rtnetlink so that the VLAN device name is not restricted
> to use any particular format.  (I wonder if it is practical to get
> iproute2 running on klibc?)

My use-case for this is quite minimal: to permit SSH access to a machine
should something go wrong, particularly with filesystem mounting. (More
specifically, I'm developing a mechanism for TPM 2.0-based measured boot
that grants a pre-approved boot chain access to a LUKS passphrase for
decrypting the root filesystem. If this fails, I would like to be able to
investigate the problem remotely over a network segment that requires VLAN
tagging for connectivity to my desktop.) This interface is very short-lived
under normal circumstances: systemd will rename the underlying physical
interface shortly after it starts. So it feels like a lot of unnecessary
complexity to allow for arbitrary interface naming, much less making all of
iproute2 available, when my only requirement is minimal network
connectivity for diagnostic purposes. On the contrary, I intentionally kept
the change small to minimize the chances of upgrade disruption for ip
kernel parameter's primary use-case, root-on-NFS.

I'd rather not boil the ocean for something this basic. There's no reason a
more complex use case can't motivate a bigger change in the future, but I
simply don't need anything that complex.

> There are some formatting issues with the code as well; you can use the
> kernel's checkpatch.pl script to find those.

Understood. Happy to fix the patch if you reconsider. Looks like I need to
figure out how to get vim to better intuit tabs vs. spaces in a particular
source file.

Thanks,
Kyle