[klibc] VLAN support for ipconfig

Kyle Rose krose at krose.org
Fri Apr 30 06:44:01 PDT 2021

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 9:27 AM Dimitri John Ledkov <
dimitri.ledkov at canonical.com> wrote:

> > I'd rather not boil the ocean for something this basic. There's no
> reason a more complex use case can't motivate a bigger change in the
> future, but I simply don't need anything that complex.
> >

> Which distribution are you using?

Debian. Which probably explains this. I obviously looked for such a thing
before embarking on this, but didn't find anything. Debian uses a very
basic shell script for init within the initramfs, which does not appear to
parse out a vlan parameter.

> This functionality already exists and is implemented without the need
> of this feature in the ipconfig.
>
> Have you considered using already existing vlan implementations in your
> initrd?

I agree that a better approach here would be to use an existing pattern
already established in another distro. I'll look into implementing Fedora's
solution in Debian. Consider the patch withdrawn.

Thanks,
Kyle