[klibc] qemu-user-static: mis-emulates something to do with process/signal handling (m68k, s390x, …)

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Wed Feb 2 05:43:28 PST 2022

On Tue, 2022-02-01 at 16:23 +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> retitle 925358 qemu-user-static: mis-emulates something to do with process/signal handling (m68k, s390x, …)
> affects 925358 klibc-dev
> thanks
>
> This still happens. (And retitling because I almost filed a bug
> against klibc again… oops…)
>
> Look for “mtest-external” (second occurrence) in:
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=mksh&arch=m68k&ver=59c-16&stamp=1643675884&raw=0
>
> Incidentally, the last buildd build on which this worked was an ARAnyM
> one which I ran myself, back then.
>
> For some reason, this does work with glibc and musl, so perhaps there
> *is* a bug or… at least a chance to work around maybe? in klibc…

klibc's signal handling is probably a bit different from the others,
and it certainly has been buggy on some architectures in the past.  It
seems to be solid now on real hardware.

I regularly build and test klibc across most supported architectures,
using QEMU, and have had to use a locally patched version due to
multiple regressions:
<https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/bwh/klibc-maint.git/plain/status.md>.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Time is nature's way of making sure that