[Lancelot] Something to watch out for...

Tommy Thorn tommy at numba-tu.com
Wed Sep 22 00:03:59 PDT 2004

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>>> It's a darn tempting thing, because you get an EP2S60 "for a limited
>>> time".
>>

> http://www.altera.com/products/ip/processors/nios2/kits/ni2-dev_kits.html

Thanks!  The fact that only the EP2S60 is available now is also a strong
hint.

> The Stratix II chip looks substantially bigger than the Cyclone chip,
> and is in a 672-pin package.  I wonder if that means the annoying pin
> sharing on the Cyclone board isn't there -- unfortunately the manual
> and the schematic aren't online yet.  I still wish they had an SDRAM slot.

Amen.  I guess it could be possible to make an SRAM expansion board or
even SDRAM if you ran it slowly enough.

> Actually, from looking at it it says "one year *license*" and no
> updates at all.  That might mean it dies after a year.  Would be bad.

Well, it said the same about our Cyclone board and as far as I remember
only updates stopped working, but I'll check with them tomorrow.

Tommy