[Lancelot] VGA clk

Wei Mark Fang gjf01 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 15:55:11 PST 2005

I'm asking about the VGA clk because I am working on a
design (on the Stratix Professional Board) that
utilizes the on-board SDRAM and the Lancelot DAC I
attached on. Currently, the design is configured at
50Mhz. The SDRAM (U57) must be at the same frequency
as the core, so I drive it using a pll.

I need the SDRAM at the core frequency of 50Mhz, but
since I want 640x480 resolution, I have to get a 25Mhz
clk signal to the DAC. However, since the DAC and the
SDRAM use the same clock buffer (U2, ie. PIN_E15),
this is impossible to do. The problem is that it seems
I can only distribute a single clock to various parts
of the board (external units).

The only solution I see right now is to lower the core
frequency to 25Mhz, to match the required frequency of
DAC for generating 640x480 resolution. But this is not
what I want to do. Do you see other solutions?

Thanks for your insights.

-Mark