[Lancelot] Stratix III

Tommy Thorn tommy at numba-tu.com
Wed Nov 8 16:34:56 PST 2006

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Tommy Thorn wrote:
>>
>> I have recently turned my attention to this board:
>> http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?Prod=S3E1600&Nav1=Products&Nav2=Programmable
>>
>> which is the Spartan 3E Starter kit in the 3S1600E guise (29,504 LE).
>> The interesting part is the price ($300) which makes it a much more
>> attractive option for designs that are intended for more than just
>> myself. The major flaw is only 8 colors on the video interface and the
>> single PS/2 port. You will probably complain about the lack of a
>> CompactFlash interface, but it should not be very hard to make an
>> SD-card adapter as a peripheral component.
>>

> Yeah, it still means gunking with hardware which makes the design a
> lot less portable.  That's been the problem with Lancelot since
> Microtronix took it over and made it prohibitively expensive.
Unlike the Lancelot, the SD-card adapter would be trivially cheap. I
might even convince Digilent to produce and sell it (they already have a
line of peripherals that plugs right into the board). If so, it would
not really be unportable as anyone who can buy the board can buy the
adapter also.

Then again, I don't actually need the SD-card all that badly myself. The
ethernet connection is far more important.

Tommy