[Lancelot] Stratix III

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Nov 9 10:56:04 PST 2006

Tommy Thorn wrote:

> EETimes' cover story is on the Stratix-III and a story about Altera that
> explains why things improved so rapidly for them in recent years:
> http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=BSCACQMDTXWG2QSNDLSCKHA?articleID=193501721
>
> Listning to various EEs I get the feeling that is Altera is
> under-appreciated and there is a lot of inertia to be overcome.

It's a lot like AMD versus Intel; AMD was definitely underappreciated
until Intel started actively blowing it and there was no alternative.

I hope they come up with a GX-capable HardCopy soon.  HardCopy is just
freggin' impressive; it enables a whole new kind of flow.  Cyclone II
has pushed FPGAs in a price band where they have never been before (and
forced Xilinx to follow.)

	-hpa