[Lancelot] Stratix III

Tommy Thorn tommy at numba-tu.com
Thu Nov 9 12:10:06 PST 2006

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Tommy Thorn wrote:
>>
>> I asked them, but haven't heard a reply yet. If they aren't doing it,
>> I could probably manage a small scale production myself.
>>

> Yeah, I've looked at small scale production for a few things in the
> past; it gets fairly expensive if you can't get the run size up,
> though, so it becomes a matter of getting the word out so you get the
> run size up.
By small I mean 20ish. I can definitely solder that quantity myself, but
I'd prefer getting help with the board layout, having not done it for
20+ years. The PCB would be small, so I can get at least four on a 4" x
5.5". Just checking the first google hit, It seems 16 boards should run
less $6 a piece. With labor and parts $20 seems doable.

> Agreed.  Looks like we won't see Stratix III design kits until 2H07,
> though.
Unless some starts producing design kits that are better & better value
than Xilinx' (cf. ML501, ML401, and the Spartan 3E1600 kit), then Altera
remains irrelevant for me.

Tommy