[klibc] Query on Using initramfs

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 08:26:10 PST 2005

--- Andreas Jellinghaus <aj at ciphirelabs.com> wrote:
> Also I wonder - this is a bit unrelated -
> In my experiments I had to disable hotplugging in the initramfs, and
> later reenable it in the real boot scripts. The reason is the kernel
> creates hotplug events for virtual consoles quite often (maybe for
> every read and write?), which results in about 2000 hotplug events
> for vc/0 on bootup. If I don't disable hotplug (i.e. /no/hotplug
> instead
> of /sbin/hotplug), then as soon as the real init is started, about
> 2000 hotplug processes are started in parallel, causing instand OOM.
> did you see anything like that in your experiments?

Does this help?
http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/11/18/297

Hotplug needs something like modprobe has, modprobe is protected by
this. from kernel/kmod.c

        max_modprobes = min(max_threads/2, MAX_KMOD_CONCURRENT);
        atomic_inc(&kmod_concurrent);
        if (atomic_read(&kmod_concurrent) > max_modprobes) {
                /* We may be blaming an innocent here, but unlikely */
                if (kmod_loop_msg++ < 5)
                        printk(KERN_ERR
                               "request_module: runaway loop modprobe
%s\n",
                               module_name);
                atomic_dec(&kmod_concurrent);
                return -ENOMEM;
        }

        ret = call_usermodehelper(modprobe_path, argv, envp, 1);
        atomic_dec(&kmod_concurrent);

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com