[klibc] Query regarding initramfs

Andreas Jellinghaus aj at ciphirelabs.com
Tue Mar 29 05:43:44 PST 2005

I guess: the boot loader can only load and pass one ram blob
to the kernel. So to load some second thing, you need to
have the location and load it yourself from that location.

But: if the boot loader passes one initrd as usual
and there is an initramfs compiled into the kernel,
you don't have that problem. I have no idea what
the kernel will do. but most likely /dev/ram1 or
/dev/ram1 holds the initrd, so you can decompress it
to /dev/ram2, get rid of /dev/ram1 and then mount
/dev/ram2 and use run-init to run the apps on it.

can anyone confirm if this might work?

Andreas
p.s. sorry, no time to look into the linux kernel source and
figure it out.

--