[klibc] Add swap support to fstype, second version

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Tue Feb 7 08:26:00 PST 2006

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 08:14:15AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Kay Sievers wrote:
> >
> >Why are you guys need to reinvent everything again? We have full-featured
> >klibc ready code for all common fs's in the udev tree:
> >  http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=extras/volume_id/README
> >

> Looked at this from a technical perspective; one thing kinit needs is to
> be able to query the size of the filesystem from the data, as opposed
> from the block size.

The size is just a value that is passed to the lib. The lib itself wants
the volume size in bytes.

> Something that also would be nice for using this
> code in kinit would be to break the filesystem and RAID probes out
> separately.

The thing is that you usually don't want to return a fstype, if the
volume is a raid member. Therefore a probe for a filesystem before
looking for a raid can do pretty bad things. But sure, we can change
anything that's reasonable.

> However, I think for right now there are bigger fish to fry.  In the
> long term, though, it would be good to work from one codebase instead of
> two, assuming the needs of both can be met.

Sure, let me know, if I can make anything to fit the needs, or split it out of
the udev tree some day ...

Thanks,
Kay