[klibc] version compatibility between linux and klibc

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Tue Jul 6 11:29:20 PDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 08:30:03PM -0400, Phil Howard wrote:
> Are there any version compatibilities between linux and klibc?  I tried to
> compile the latest klibc (1.5.18) with the latest linux (2.6.32.15) and
> there is miserable compile failures.  It looks like klibc wants some headers
> to be in include/asm (linked in my case to include/asm-x86) but they are
> instead in include/asm-generic (it seems all headers but one are in there).
>
> I put together this script to be sure I was doing the steps consistently for
> each attempt (and also starting with a pristine set of files each time):
>
> http://phil.ipal.org/linux-and-klibc/compile-linux-and-klibc
>
> Here is one of the bad results (running the above script):
>
> http://phil.ipal.org/linux-and-klibc/20100704-200321-025257-compile-linux-and-klibc.log
>
> I added a step to copy include/asm-generic to include/asm and that seemed to
> help some.  But there was nothing in the README files about needing to do
> that.  Here is a lot of that result:

The above is wrong - klibc today should be built using exported headers.
I tried with latest klibc + kernel.

This worked for me:
cd $KERNEL
make headers_install
cd $KLIBC
make KLIBCKERNELSRC=$KERNEL/usr

Note that "headers_install" install the userspace ready headers in $KERNEL/usr
which is why this dir is specified as argument to KLIBCKERNELSRC.

	Sam