[klibc] VLAN support for ipconfig

Dimitri John Ledkov dimitri.ledkov at canonical.com
Fri Apr 30 06:53:05 PDT 2021

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 2:44 PM Kyle Rose <krose at krose.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 9:27 AM Dimitri John Ledkov <dimitri.ledkov at canonical.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I'd rather not boil the ocean for something this basic. There's no reason a more complex use case can't motivate a bigger change in the future, but I simply don't need anything that complex.
>> >

>> Which distribution are you using?
>

> Debian. Which probably explains this. I obviously looked for such a thing before embarking on this, but didn't find anything. Debian uses a very basic shell script for init within the initramfs, which does not appear to parse out a vlan parameter.

Which is the same basic script that Ubuntu has patched to add vlan
support. It was not that hard
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/428242404/initramfs-tools_0.133ubuntu8_0.133ubuntu9.diff.gz
it may need slightly different busybox config which is enough in this
case to create vlan. ( I don't know if Debian's busybox config for
initramfs is compatible)

Full iproute2 is not needed.

Imho above is a lot more simple to add vlan support in
initramfs-tools, rather than patching klibc ipconfig. There is no vlan
syntax in ip= and imho ipconfig should only be limited to "ip="
handling.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.