[Lancelot] Something to watch out for...

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Sep 23 01:09:47 PDT 2004

Tommy Thorn wrote:

> You're right in everything but that.  The $1k Nios II Stratix II dev.
> kit would require a $2k/year sw subscription after the first year. How
> exactly does that seem reasonable?

Indeed... kind of puts it out of reach for anyone who doesn't have a
Quartus II subscription anyway -- which makes you wonder why they bother
including it (I know, it's to give people who are considering a change
from Xilinx some time to try it out.)

It's a bit of a shame, since people tend to prefer to use what they're
familiar with, and reasonably low cost devel kits is a great way to do that.

Oh well, at least the Cyclone II's will be 100% web edition-capable, so
eventually we should see a Cyclone II devel kit.  It'll have multiplier
arrays, too, but no M-RAM.

	-hpa