[Lancelot] Help with Lancelot reference example

Jowen Yeo jyeo at shaw.ca
Sat Mar 12 21:07:44 PST 2005

Hello,

I am using the Lancelot VGA card with an Altera Cyclone EP1C20 for a school project.  Right now, I can't even get the Lancelot reference design that is on the www.fpga.nl website to work.  Here's what I've done:

- followed the instructions in the manual under "5. Reference Designs".  This produced the following error:

Mar 12, 2005 9:01:04 PM - (SEVERE) nios2-flash-programmer: com.altera.memory.RWM
emoryException: File not found: ../software/lancelot/debug/flash.flash
Mar 12, 2005 9:01:04 PM - (SEVERE) nios2-flash-programmer: Unable to read input-
data from: ../software/lancelot/debug/flash.flash, exiting

So I...

- program the Cyclone with Lancelot_Cyclone_EP1C20.sof using Quartus, this performs successfully
- open NIOS II IDE, created a new C/C++ application from the ./software/lancelot location, set the SOPC Builder System as .\nios.ptf, and CPU as cpu, and included the lancelot_syslib folder as the system library
- I build the project and get the following error: "*** [C:/ece496/lancelot/nios_sim/dummy_file] Error 2"
- I create a empty file called dummy_file in C:/ece496/lancelot/nios_sim and build again, and it works now
- Select Run.. from the Run menu, click the Run button, and everything seems to work right since I see the following on the console window:

nios2-terminal: Warning: The JTAG cable you are using is not supported for Nios
nios2-terminal: II systems.  You may experience intermittent JTAG communication
nios2-terminal: failures with this cable.  Please use a USB Blaster revision B
nios2-terminal: cable or another supported cable.  Please refer to the file
nios2-terminal: errata.txt included in the Nios II development kit documents
nios2-terminal: directory for more information.

nios2-terminal: connected to hardware target using JTAG UART on cable
nios2-terminal: "ByteBlasterII [LPT1]", device 1, instance 0
nios2-terminal: starting in terminal mode only (Control-C exits)

followed by:

Welcome to Lancelot!
====================
Switching image
Switching image
Switching image
Switching image

It keeps outputting Switching image, but my monitor doesn't display anything, and the status LED keeps going green-orange-green-orange...

After having built the project, the flash.flash file is created, so I try following the instructions in the user manual again.  It outputs this:

Lancelot Image Loader
===================
This utility loads the flash of
the Altera Cyclone / Stratix Nios Development Board
with the Lancelot PLD configuration, Nios software and images.
Written by Marco Groeneveld

Programming EP1C20 using ByteBlasterII
Info: *******************************************************************
Info: Running Quartus II Convert_programming_file
Info: Command: quartus_cpf --no_banner --convert ../Lancelot_Cyclone_EP1C20.so
user.rbf
Info: Quartus II Convert_programming_file was successful. 0 errors, 0 warnings
    Info: Processing ended: Sat Mar 12 20:48:00 2005
    Info: Elapsed time: 00:00:00
Pre-Reading 434KBytes of data from U5:
    |----.----+----.----|
    ********************* (17.484 sec).
Pre-Reading 65KBytes of data from U5:
    |----.----+----.----|
    ********************* (5.078 sec).
Erasing 2 Sectors:
    |----.----+----.----|
    ********************* (1.593 sec).
Writing 128KBytes :
    |----.----+----.----|
    ********************* (10.297 sec).
Verifying 128KBytes of data:
    |----.----+----.----|
Pre-Reading 939KBytes of data from FlashDevice:
/cygdrive/c/ece496/lancelot-full/flash_image
[SOPC Builder]$

and I press the reset config button on the Cyclone board, but nothing except the blinking LED.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and yes, the monitor is working.  The Lancelot is plugged into the J11, J12, J13 pins.  The problem isn't the parallel cable I'm using with the Cyclone board is it?

Thanks,
Jowen